22 January 2016
Welcome to 5 Minute ADTEKR, your five minute speed read of news and analysis from the past week. Short and sweet, this series highlights key news, developments, trends and predictions in a bite-sized format.
Your speed read for this week:
On ADTEKR this week
Social Advertising Series: Kik
Our Social Advertising Series has previously taken a look at Twitter, Snapchat, Facebook, Instagram and Tinder. But there has been another player on the scene all along: Kik. This week, ADTEKR takes a look at how the messaging app for post-millenials is hoping to Kik-start its adtech offering.
Headlines: What’s in the news?
- Adtech M&A Continues to Rise as Investors Continue to Pummel Stock Price – Ad tech acquisitions surged between Q3 and Q4 last year, with such providers accounting for almost a third of all M&A deals in all of the ad tech sector during the final quarter of last year, according to a study from Results International.
- Adtech Company OpenX Saw $140M In Net Revenue Last Year – OpenX, who ofter programmatic ad tools for online publishers announced that they received $140 million in net revenue in 2015, up 40% year-on-year.
- Dubai-based AdRelated makes Content Shoppable – With only 2.8% of people believing that they thought that ads they saw on websites were relevant, AdRelated have launched a solution that matches adverts with the key words in the published content in a hope to increase click-through-rate.
- Ex-Mozilla CEO Launches Brave Browser with Advertiser White List – Brendan Eich, co-founder of Mozilla, has launched a new browser called Brave. In a world where ad-blockers are becoming more widespread, Brave automatically substitutes a publisher’s adverts with their own ‘clean’ adverts that will not affect browser performance.
- Qualia Merges with BlueCava to Connect Intent to Cross-Screen Conversion – Intent-targeting platform Qualia has merged with early cross-device shop BlueCava. The move will marry cross-screen data with purchase signals, which the two companies say will strengthen their collective offering.
- RTB Realities Complicate The Future Of Programmatic Direct – Andy Smith, Head of Programmatic at Vibrant Media, questions the future of RTB vs direct ad buying as content strives to be more native and unique.
- Global Social Ad Spend Doubled at the End of 2015 Thanks to Facebook’s Improved Ad Offering – The Drum’s Rebecca Stewart considers the impact advertising via Facebook and Instagram has had on the advertising market.
- The Next 8 Years Of Ad-Tech Is About Direct To Advertiser Sales Technologies And Empowering Sales Teams With Better Software – Todd Garland, Founder and CEO of BuySellAds outlines his view on the coming decade for adtech especially for RTB and Programmatic Direct Platforms.